Project Planning and Management
Documents and resources to help plan and manage an i-Tree Eco project such as examples of notification letters, plot maps, equipment lists and project time lines. Most planning resources were developed and provided as a courtesy by past Eco project managers to help future project managers.
Which i-Tree Tool Should I Use?
- Which i-Tree Tool Should I Use? - A decision making matrix developed by the Urban Forest Assessment Subcommittee of the Urban & Community Forestry Committee of the Northeast-Midwest Alliance of State Foresters with input from the Davey Institute and support from the USDA Forest Service.
Project Creation Guides
- Idaho Treasure Valley Dot Grid Reference Sheet - This document provided courtesy of David Stephenson, Idaho Department of Lands Community Forestry Program, provides instructions for using an English dot grid for aiding in determining land use cover percentages. Refer to the Idaho Eco Management Guide above for more details.
- City of Milwaukee - Eco Plot Map - This is an example of Eco plot maps utilized by the City of Milwaukee.
- Idaho Treasure Valley i-Tree Eco Project Management Report - This document developed by David Stephenson, Idaho Department of Lands Community Forestry Program, provides suggestions, methods, tips and tools to help future Eco project managers.
- Eco Project Cost Estimation - This document, developed by Eric Kuehler from Urban Forestry South, offers a cost estimate for an Eco project. Note - Numerous factors can affect project cost and this is provided only as a general guideline.
- Eco Project Time Estimation - This document, developed by Eric Kuehler from Urban Forestry South, provides time estimations for planning and conducting an Eco project.
- Eco Project Time Line - This document, developed by Eric Kuehler from Urban Forestry South, is an example of a Eco project time line for a county assessment.
- Eco Project Equipment List - This is an example of equipment options for a typical i-Tree Eco project.
- Eco Report Explanation Brief - This document, developed by Eric Kuehler, USFS Urban Forestry South, and Francisco Escobedo, University of Florida, provides a brief explanation of and uses for the i-Tree Eco reports.
- City of Milwaukee - Notification Letter - This is an example on a access notification letter sent to residents provided courtesy of the City of Milwaukee.
- City of Milwaukee - Access Response Card - This is an example on a Eco plot access response card sent to residents provided courtesy of the City of Milwaukee.
Data Collection Guides
- Eco Field Data Cheat Sheet (1 page field resource) updated 03.28.2021 - (16MB pdf) This two-page guide is great to have in the field for inexperienced crews or when you need a reminder of how to collect Eco data and measurements for a given tree. This document was developed by Naomi Zurcher of Arbor Aegis in support of the Swiss i-Tree Eco project.
- Casey Trees UFORE Management Guide - This guide, which was developed by Casey Trees in Washington D.C., provides detailed guidelines for planning, managing and executing an i-Tree Eco project.
- Cascade Land Conservany (CLC) Integrated Forest Assessment Report - This document was developed by CLC in Seattle, WA, and describes outreach efforts and guidelines for planning and managing Eco plot access issues.
- Eco plot descriptions Powerpoint (PDF) - This is a PDF file of a PowerPoint used for Eco plot training developed courtesy of Keith Sacre from Treeconomics
- Eco Data Explanation Sheet - Brief description of Eco sample project plot & tree data collection options.
- i-Tree Eco v6 Species List - A spreadsheet (xlsx) with Eco v6 tree and shrub species generated on 21 April 2021. This list is also available from within the Eco v6 application by selecting View>Species List
- Eco Species Code Lookup - A spreadsheet (xlsx) that can lookup Eco species codes for a list of scientific tree species names. This sheet can be used to generate codes for Eco data collection based off a local list of trees.
- Removed list of herbaceous species from i-Tree Eco v6 master species list - A spreadsheet (xlsx) list of species removed from Eco v6 in the version 6.1.14 Sept2016 update due to Eco's modeling capability specific to woody vegetation.