i-Tree Open Academy - Summer 2023
Join us for the second round of our newest learning series! The i-Tree Open Academy will provide a broad introduction to the i-Tree suite of tools. This is a virtual opportunity for anyone interested in better understanding the benefits of trees and exploring the latest i-Tree has to offer. The Summer 2023 i-Tree Open Academy will cover the same material as in our Spring 2023 Open Academy with a few minor updates based on attendee feedback. There is no fee for the Academy.
This is our second attempt at an open format academy. Our intent is to help as many folks as possible get started working with i-Tree. Feel free to attend only the sessions you are interested in or view the recordings if you can't make the live session. We look forward to your engagement and feedback as we try to find new ways to connect with new audiences around the benefits of trees.
The intended audience is new i-Tree users or folks who haven’t checked-in for a few years. The Academy will serve as a refresher and an introduction to the newest tools and features.
We will be offering continuing education credits (CEUs) for both the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and the New Jersey state Urban and Community Forestry program. One CEU is available for each of the live sessions attended.
All sessions will be streamed live via this Microsoft Teams link. All sessions will be recorded and posted below as well as on the i-Tree YouTube channel, so that you can catch up on anything you missed. There are no requirements for this course, and there will be self-directed exercises that you can use to gain experience using the tools. You are encouraged to submit any questions related to the course via firstname.lastname@example.org, and there will be opportunities to ask questions during certain live sessions and office hours.
Each session is one hour long and offered Wednesdays at 1:00 pm (Eastern US time). Note: Office hours days and times may vary.
- August 2nd – Introduction to i-Tree. Understand the basic science of i-Tree and the USFS research behind it. Explore the relationships between the i-Tree tools and the data they provide. Start to consider which i-Tree tools will be best for the application you have in mind.
- August 9th – Online with MyTree, i-Tree Design, and i-Tree Planting. Explore the easiest to use online i-Tree tools for individual trees. Get a better sense of their advantages and most common uses.
- August 16th – The view from the top: i-Tree Canopy and OurTrees. You can’t manage your forest resource unless you know what you have. Get an estimate of tree canopy cover for any area or monitor change with a few hours of image analysis. Or save your mouse clicks and see if a quick visit to OurTrees will get you what you need.
- August 25th - Open office hours (add to calendar). No slides or presentations just an informal opportunity to have your i-Tree questions answered. Join us with THIS LINK at 1:00pm Eastern, US.
- August 30th – i-Tree Landscape: Your data, maps, and equity portal. With dozens of layers covering a wide range of geographies it is easy to get lost in Landscape. This session will keep you on track to finish with a map of tree benefits and priority areas within your community.
- September 6th – i-Tree Eco the flagship tool. i-Tree Eco is where the latest science goes first. It is a large flexible tool that can’t be covered in a single session. We’ll help you decide if Eco is right for you and let you know where to go to learn more.
- September 7th - Open office hours (add to calendar). No slides or presentations just an informal opportunity to have your i-Tree questions answered. Join us with THIS LINK at 1:00pm Eastern, US.
Feedback, participation certificate, and CEU request: If you participated in our summer i-Tree Academy through the live sessions or recordings we'd love to hear from you. Please take a minute to fill out our feedback form.