i-Tree Methods and Files
For foreign language archive materials, please see our International Documents.
Para materiales de archivo traducidos, consulte los Documentos Internacionales.
Looking for something specific? Try using the Search feature at the top of this page..
i-Tree Suite General
- Change Log - This document describes updates that were made to the i-Tree software suite.
- i-Tree System Requirement Document - This document describes basic computer system and hand held data collection device requirements to install and run i-Tree software.
- i-Tree End User License Agreement - The i-Tree End Users License Agreement is presented and accepted by users prior to installing or working with the i-Tree desktop software or online tools.
- Official Logo
i-Tree Eco Resources
i-Tree Database Resources
i-Tree Database provides a central submission site for new location-specific data coming into i-Tree from around the world. Submitted data will be vetted and officially added to i-Tree Eco and potentially other tools in the future. Users in these new locations will be able to update their software and run an analysis with new locations and species without requiring manual processing by the US Forest Service. Below are some files that are used in the data submission process with i-Tree Database.
- Eco v6.0 International Guide - for International Projects outside of the U.S, Australia, Canada and the U.K.
- Precipitation Data templates - A link to the precipitation data templates used for submitting hourly precipitation data in i-Tree Database.
- Air Pollution Data templates - A link to the air pollution data templates used for submitting local pollution data in i-Tree Database.
i-Tree Streets & STRATUM Resources
Documents for STRATUM also pertain to i-Tree Streets as Streets is an adaptation of the original Street Tree Resource Assessment Tool for Urban Forest Managers (STRATUM) application.
i-Tree Canopy Resources
- Canopy Technical Notes - A document describing basic procedures, limitations and calculations for i-Tree Canopy.
- Canopy boundary shapefile guide - A guide providing basic procedures for downloading and preparing a shapefile boundary with ArcGIS for use in i-Tree Canopy. Procedures should also apply for most GIS packages and free versions such as QGIS.
- Canopy air pollutant removal and monetary value model descriptions - This document describes the methods and limitations used in determining default value multipliers for air pollutant removal rates and monetary values for a unit tree cover. The derived multipliers are incorporated in the i-Tree Canopy model to estimate air pollutant removal and values for locations in the conterminous United States.
- Carbon Storage and Sequestration by Trees in Urban and Community Areas of the United States - This document is used to determine default values for carbon dioxide storage rates (g/m²) and carbon dioxide sequestration rates (g/m²/yr.) used by the i-Tree Canopy application.
- Tree and Impervious Cover Change in U.S. cities - Nowak & Greenfield - A 2012 journal article using photointerpretation (PI) methodology to compare tree & impervious cover change in U.S. cities.
- Photo interpretation comparison with NLCD imagery - A 2010 journal article comparing the accuracy of NLCD imagery using photointerpretation (PI). The PI methods are the foundation for the i-Tree Canopy application. Article also describes methods for integrating quality assurance in a survey.
Predefined i-Tree Canopy cover classes
The following (3) pre-defined Canopy cover class files can be used in an i-Tree Canopy project. Download and save the desired cover class file on your computer. Select the file during step 2 of Canopy project configuration to load cover classes. The first (2) files were designed for use in conjunction with an i-Tree Hydro analyses. The third file was used by the Wisconsin DNR for their multi-community Canopy survey to include "potential" tree canopy.
- i-Tree Canopy (8) cover class version for i-Tree Hydro - This file has (8) cover classes and differentiates between impervious covers.
- i-Tree Canopy (6) cover class version for i-Tree Hydro - This file has (6) cover classes and lumps impervious cover in one class. Example image (.png) of 6 Hydro covers classes.
- Wisconsin DNR i-Tree Canopy (6) cover class version - This file has (6) cover classes and includes a "possible tree canopy" cover type.
i-Tree Design Resources
- i-Tree Design Methods - An updated summary describing methods and processes used in the i-Tree Design v6 application. Updated September 2014.
- Design application notes - A summary of the i-Tree Design application "About" notes describing the model. Similar information can be accessed directly from the Design application.
- i-Tree Design take home activity - This i-Tree Design activity is ideal for middle or high school kids interested in learning about tree benefits and tree identification. The exercise has resources to help kids learn to identify and measure common trees which can then be entered in i-Tree Design.
i-Tree Landscape Resources
- i-Tree Landscape Methods, Limitations and Uncertainties - A document (pdf) describing i-Tree Landscape's ecosystem services estimates, modeling methods, data inputs, limitations and uncertainties.
- i-Tree Eco United States County-Based Hydrologic Estimates - A document (pdf) describing i-Tree Landscape's county-based hydrological estimates based on i-Tree Eco.
- i-Tree v6 Pollutant Removal, Biogenic Emissions and Hydrologic Processes Descriptions v1.1 - A document (pdf) describing common i-Tree v6 ecosystem services methods and processes used by i-Tree Landscape, Canopy, Design and Forecast including international adaptations for Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom. Updated April 14, 2016.
- i-Tree Landscape Pollutant Ranges - A spreadsheet (xlsx) showing ranges (min, mean and max) of air pollutant removal per unit tree cover (g/m2) used for i-Tree Landscape. Worksheets provided for county, urban and rural runs.
- i-Tree Landscape Carbon Storage and Sequestration for US Counties - A spreadsheet with estimated carbon sequestration and carbon storage values for US counties based on analysis of National Land Cover Data (NLCD) and Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) data for each county.
i-Tree Hydro Resources
- Hydro: method descriptions and related journal articles
- Hydro: project creation files and data example files
- Hydro: i-Tree Canopy cover classes
i-Tree Pest Detection
- Excel 2003 / Excel 2007 Pest Detection Workbook - Spreadsheets designed for the collection of pest detection protocol information.
- i-Tree Pest Detection data sheet for Eco projects (.pdf) - Basic data entry sheet which can be used with Eco paper entry forms, the Pest Detection Tatum Guideand Pest Detection Field Guide.
- Pest Matrix List - The complete list of pests used by the pest detection protocol.
- Pest Detection Matrix - Signs and symptoms associated with the pests in the pest detection protocol.
- Software Developers: Please consider integrating i-Tree Pest Detection with your Tree Inventory and Management software. Refer to the following XML files.
- Pest Detection XML Schema Definition - Standardized XML Schema for specifying Pest data in XML format.
- Dynamic Matrix Pest List - Source of the dynamically updated pest list for use by the pest detection XML Transformation Sheet.
- Pest Detection XML Tranformation Sheet - Transformation file used to translate an XML file that adheres to Pest Detection XML Schema Definition into an HTML table format. This can be used to produce a web viewable version of the XML. Requires the Dynamic IPED Matrix Pest List
- Pest Detection XML Sample - A sample XML document that adheres to the Pest XML Schema Definition and utilizes the Pest XML Tranformation Sheet to produce a HTML viewable table based version of it.
- i-Tree Streets XML Schema Definition - Standardized XML Schema for specifying an i-Tree Streets inventory in XML form. Requires the Pest Detection XML Schema Definition
- i-Tree Streets XML Tranformation Sheet - Transformation file used to translate an XML file that adheres to the i-Tree Streets XML Schema Definition into an HTML table format. This can be used to produce a web viewable version of the XML. Requires the Pest Detection XML Transformation Sheet
- i-Tree Streets XML Sample - A sample i-Tree Streets inventory in XML format that adheres to the i-Tree Streets XML Schema Definition and utilizes the i-Tree Streets XML Transformation Sheet to produce a HTML viewable table based version of it.
i-Tree Vue Resources
- NLCD imagery correction factor article - A journal article comparing the accuracy of NLCD imagery with photointerpretation used to develop correction factor with Vue in version 4.0.
i-Tree Species Resources
- i-Tree Species Methods - A detailed document describing the methodology of the i-Tree Species selector utility.
i-Tree Storm SDAP (Storm Damage Assessment Protocol) Resources
- Urban Forests in Florida: Storm Damage Assessment Utility for Estimating Hurrican-Caused Tree Debris A University of Florida Extension fact sheet describing the development and utility of the Florida Hurricane Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.
- Hurricane Debris and Damage Assessment for Florida Urban Forests - A journal article describing the research and development of the Florida Hurricane Storm Damage Assessment Protocol.
- Florida Storm Damage Assessment Methods: Summary of Methods and Results for the Florida Hurricane adaptation in i-Tree Storm.
- Patterns of Urban Forest Debris from the 2004 and 2005 Florida Hurricane Seasons: A journal article discussing storm damage assessment of seven hurricanes during 2004 and 2005 Florida Seasons.
- Storm Damage Assessment Classroom Exercise - A procedure and template for conducting a simple, indoors SDAP learning module
- Storm Damage Assessment for Urban Trees: A Timely and Accurate Method - A brochure providing a summary description of the SDAP Utility.
- 2003 Storm Damage Protocol Implementation (OH-03-346) - Final report describing SDAP history, mechanics and implementation strategy.
- An Initial Storm Damage Assessment Protocol for Urban and Community Forests - A document describing SDAP methodology and function.
MCTI (Mobile Community Tree Inventory) Legacy Resources
- MCTI Paper Tally Form - Standard data collection form for use with legacy copy of MCTI.